When Should I Replace My AC in Texas?
Air conditioning is all but necessary with the brutal heat of a Texas summer. Typically, the average life of an air conditioner is anywhere between 12 and 15 years, though some models will last over 20. Here in the San Marcos area, we have a relatively long cooling season that is quite taxing to air conditioning equipment, so we can expect somewhere closer to the 12-year mark for most systems. However, age is not the only factor that should be considered for an air conditioner replacement.
Has your air conditioner received the care and maintenance it needs for a long service life? Call SM Air today at (512) 212-4777 or contact us online to have your system evaluated or to schedule air conditioning maintenance.
Should I Repair or Replace My Air Conditioner?
When an air conditioner starts to have problems, repair is typically the most cost-effective option, as long as:
- The system is less than 15 years old
- The repairs are not too costly
- No major parts must be replaced, such as the compressor
- It has had adequate maintenance in the past
- It can keep your home cool at a reasonable cost
Otherwise, a new air conditioner may be the best option.
When to Replace Your Air Conditioner
If your air conditioner is approaching 15 years old, it is certainly time to start thinking about a new system, but even if your system is only 10 or 12 years old, an early replacement may be beneficial in some instances. Here are a few signs that it is time for an AC replacement:
- Your air conditioner is nearing the end of its service life. Most air conditioners will not last much beyond 12 to 15 years, especially if they have a less-than-perfect maintenance history. Additionally, a failure during the busy summer season may mean waiting an uncomfortably long time for a replacement. If you’re crossing your fingers that you can eke out another season from your air conditioner, it might be wise to replace it now so you can face summer confidently.
- Your air conditioner needs frequent repairs. If your system is breaking down constantly or needs major parts replaced like the condenser coil, blower motor, or compressor, a new system may be more convenient and more reliable, and it will certainly have lower repair and operational costs.
- Your system costs a fortune to keep your home cool. An older, inefficient AC unit will use large amounts of electricity to keep your home comfortable. Today’s systems can offer 20 SEER or above, while older systems were often rated less than 13 SEER. (SEER is a rough estimate of an AC unit’s energy efficiency; the higher the number, the less you’ll pay in utility costs for the same amount of cooling.)
- You have made changes to your home. If you have remodeled your home recently and made it larger or smaller, changed its layout, or increased its energy efficiency, your air conditioner may need to be modified or replaced to be efficient and effective.
- Your home is not comfortable. If your air conditioner can no longer keep your home cool or keep humidity under control, it is time to upgrade to a new system.
Air Conditioning Replacement in San Marcos, TX
When you are ready for your AC replacement in the San Marcos area, talk to our team at SM Air. We can recommend the best system for the size of your home, with all the features you would like in an air conditioner, and we can also provide a complete, professional AC installation. We have been serving San Marcos, Wimberley, New Braunfels, and the surrounding areas since 1986, providing reliable, high-quality heating and air conditioning services.
Call (512) 212-4777 or contact us online to schedule your AC replacement today!